Constant tail bone bruising

Patient

Q: I have just started Roller Derby and have been falling on my tail bone a lot, which is constantly bruising the bone. I am wearing padded shorts now but that doesn't seem to do too much for me. My question is will my body eventually toughen up on it's own to prevent this from reoccurring or will I have to take other precautions?

Doctor

A:   With the repeated traumas to the coccyx you may develop later on Coccygodynia or tailbone pain that may become chronic and very difficult to treat. Persons with coccydynia often report severe and persistent pain that compromises functional activities requiring sitting and diminishes their quality of life. Once the coccyx pain has become chronic (persisting for more than 3-6 months), it may be less likely to resolve by natural recovery alone, more likely to continue indefinitely, more likely to be resistant to treatment, and more likely to require a multiple treatment approach (eg, oral medications combined with local injections). I suggest that you avoid the repeated falls, prolongued sitting, bike riding,  horseback riding and canoeing.