Constantly hungry during Time of Stress.

Q: Hi doc. in the recent weeks,i've been constantly feeling hungry, even after meals. sometimes , the muscles feels weak like i've have not eaten for a day. i also have a rash on my feet that appeared roughly the same time as the frequent hunger pangs starts to this normal?this doesn't really help as i have acid reflux and eating too much at one go causes a reflux.i'm 22 male undergraduate doing a relatively stressful major. thanks

A:   I do understand that you may be under a lot of stress lately which may be related to the hunger pangs that you are experiencing. The human body releases a hormone called cortisol during times of stress. Though this hormone protects the body by increasing the levels of glucose in the blood, high levels of the hormone lead to increased cravings of food to keep the supply of sugar in the body. The hormone also suppresses the immune system making you susceptible to infections.
I would advise you to try ways to relieve the stress, like yoga, exercise, light music and adequate sleep. If you find your stress unable to cope, then speaking to a family member, a counsellor or your family doctor may benefit you.