Constipation and Tummy Ache in Babies

Q: My 7 week old has been crying almost non-stop for 2 weeks now. The only thing that seems to calm her is feeding. I am feeding her a mix of formula and breast. Previously she was having a bowel movement with almost every feed however, she suddenly just stopped about 2 weeks ago and started only going every 2 days, and even then it was only when I massaged her tummy and moved her legs around to coax it out of her. This has become less and less frequent and currently she has not had a bowel movement for 4 days no matter what I try and seems to be in a lot of pain. Her stools have gone from very soft and waterey to a pastey consistancy. She is also extremely gassy. I am fairly certain she is in pain with this as she is often screaming and tensing her stomache and pulling her legs up to her tummy. What can I do to relieve this?

A:   Being fussy is part of being a baby but it can be hard to tell when it is normal or there is something wrong. Fussiness for the duration you have mentioned needs to be assessed.  Colic is certainly a possibility but other medical causes such as constipation or interception have to be ruled out.
It may be that some component of the formula is not suitable for her system and she is unable to digest her feeds or it is making her constipated.
You need to talk to her doctor and tailor the treatment towards the cause.
The possibility always exists that this is simply a growing phase but for pain of this duration, a medical assessment is warranted.