Consult for a nose injury toddler?

Patient

Q: My toddler fell and hit his nose on a concrete step. Is it necessary to take him to the doctor's? It is slightly swollen and only bled slightly for a few minutes. He doesn't let us put ice on it.

Doctor

A:   Nose injuries do not usually cause major concerns unless there is a broken nose which may suggest a more severe injury and possible trauma to internal structures of the head.  I would suggest that you consult your child`s pediatrician if there is marked swelling and deformity of the nose, you child develops signs of breathing difficulty though the nose and if the pain and and swelling does not subside. Ibuprofen can be given to decrease the pain and reduce the swelling.