Continied knee pain and giving out after meniscectomy

Q: I am 49yr old obese femae. I twisted my left knee while walking down the stairs at work back in November. I had meniscectomy of the medial meniscus in mid January. I returned to work the next week on sedentary for a month. I was then able to return to full duty. About 2weeks into my full duty, I started having medial knee pain and my knee often gives out while walking. My PT suspected something else was going on. I called my OS and went to see him earlier than originally scheduled. He placed me back on sedentary duty after diagnosing it as an mcl sprain and continued my therapy. In between appointments I cont. to have same problems and so my employer sent me to ER. They did xrays and said it was the mcl sprain and sent me home on crutches. I was unable to get in tosee my OS for 3 weeks. When I saw him he told me to use cane and stopped therapy until I had an mri. I saw him after this mri and he said he could not see anything wrong. Not even any swelling on mri. My knee is about 2x the size as the right. I have also told him at each visit my thigh above knee is swollen and I have burning pain. When I first told him this on visit righht after surgery, he said it was from tourniquet used on it during surgery. Since then when I bring it up he just dismisses it. Since this last visit,he placed me on no prolonged standing or walking anf no stairs, and told me to restart my therapy. I don't go back to him for another month. I got the feeling he will just release me when I see him again despite how my knee feels. I never had any problems with it prior to injuring it. Could it be my weight, or could there be something that didn't show up on mri?

Symptoms:  Left medial knee pain, knee giving way after meniscectomy.