Continued pain after torn meniscus knee surgery

Q: Hello,

In May of 2011 I received arthroscopic surgery to remove a piece of torn meniscus and a cyst.
I've done rehabilitation on my own in attempts to strengthen my quad and calf muscles. Recently, I've started to get more involved in trying to play sports again and have had pain in the same spot I received my surgery. Also, I have put on a few pounds (about 15) from working out and lack of intense cardiovascular exercise. Along with that, I have muscle atrophy in my leg muscles due to lack of exercise. My question is why do I still have pain in my knee? Is it because of the muscle atrophy combined with the extra weight on my knee? I'm dying to be able to run and play sports without pain and I was told I'd be able to a month or two after the surgery. Thanks!