Contraception

Patient

Q: Good evening,

I have a question about my hormonal contraception.
I had sex with my boyfriend and we had a failure of protection (broken condom) on last Thursday, so I took the morning after pill (as I was not yet on hormonal contraception). My period was due to start on Thursday too, but instead only slight spotting started and this had lasted until Monday, when I got "real" period and I therefore started the first cycle of my hormonal contraception.
How long will it be before I will be under protection of the pill? Do I need to wait for the whole cycle? I am worried if the "morning after pill" could somehow change the workings of the pill, and while the information leaflet says that my hormonal contraception should be effective from day 1 if taken on the 1st day of period, I am not sure if this is valid in my case?

Thank you very much in advance for your reply

Doctor