Contraceptive Implant after 8 years

Patient

Q: I got the contraceptive implant in summer 2002. I know that it stops working after 3 years. When it was time to remove/replace my implant I moved country and have not had it replaced. I have now had it in for 8 years. Will this cause a problem when I come to have it replaced this year?

Doctor

A:   I understand your concern about your contraceptive implant. It is recommended for your implant to be removed as soon as possible. It is a foreign body that is not releasing hormones anymore and could be difficult to remove if you leave it for years and leave a scar.
I would suggest you to consult your gynecologist as soon as possible for an evaluation and surgical removal of the implant or if you plan to replace it.