Contraceptive placebo pill complications and confusion

Q: I recently just went to my gp, to change from the ava 30 contraceptive pill, over to Ginet pill. However my gp didnt inform me that i should of skipped the last sugar pack of ava, and take the new ginet one instead. I also was 1 day late for getting my new pill pack as i wasnt able to book an appt, so i took an extra sugar pill off an old ava pack hoping it would help me stay protected, as i had unprotected sex two days before hand (as my placebo period had basically ended) which has me worried. i would like to know
1) should i continue the ginet period pill, or go straight to the 'non-period' pill section?
2)am i still protected? if not right now, will i be once i head off the ginets period section?

Symptoms:  Period