Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Contreceptive pills while pregnant.

Contreceptive pills while pregnant.

Patient: Hello, I have been on the contraceptive pills for over 2 months. I have recently had unprotected sex with my partner and now for the past few days I have been feeling very sick and having a lot of discharge. My belly has also started to bloat a little bit. Is there a change for me to be pregnant even if I am on the pills?

Symptoms: Sickness, discharge, bely bloating

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Birth control pills are highly effective when taken regularly without missing a dose.They do have a failure rate of about 0.5 to 1 %, no contraceptive is 100% effective.The symptoms of sickness, discharge and bloating could be associated with pregnancy.These symptoms may also be due to hormonal changes, side effect of the pills or premenstrual symptoms.I would suggest you to do a beta hCG test to rule out pregnancy and follow it up with a gynecologist.Hope this helpedRegards