Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Copper iud and supplement interactions

Copper iud and supplement interactions

Patient: Is it safe to take iron and magnesium supplements daily while having a copper iud? Do either supplements effect your body with the iud and extra copper in your body? Please do not tell me the iud does not release extra copper into your body because until I see scientific evidence and studies done from an outside source with no relation to the companies that provide the iud, I am going with common sense…which to me is-if you place something in your body, that element can and will be released into your body to some extent. Thank you

Symptoms: N/A

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Taking magnesium and zinc supplements can help in avoiding ex cess copper in the body.So, you can take them while being on IUCD.If your hemoglobin levels are low, you can go for iron supplementation.But if your hemoglobin level is above 11mg/dl, you may not need iron supplements and you can manage with iron rich diet.Hope this helps.Take care