Cough and Bronchitis

Patient : Hey, I have recently has a cold and since the symptoms have gone away I have developed a chesty cough which makes me become breathless. I am regulaly coughing up green phlem. Is this serious and should I contact my GP?
Doctor :   Hello, I understand that you feel concerned about your recently developed cough. Surely if you had an upper respiratory infection lately and in my opinion due to the description of your cough, a possibility of Acute Bronchitis might be considered. Bronchitis is an inflammation of the lining of your bronchial tubes, which carry air to and from your lungs. A common condition, acute bronchitis often develops from a cold or other commonly viral respiratory infection and usually improves within a few days without lasting effects, although you may continue to cough for weeks.Treatment for bronchitis focuses on relieving your symptoms and easing your breathing. All you may need to recover from acute bronchitis may be Rest, Drinking fluids, breathing in warm, moist air, taking an over-the-counter (OTC) cough suppressant once the sputum production stops since the cough is actually clearing your lungs of the mucus.If you start noticing wheezing in your lungs and fever, you might want to consult your physician to rule out a bacterial cause. I wish you a prompt recovery.