Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Cough and Cold or Symptoms of Asthma?

Cough and Cold or Symptoms of Asthma?

Patient: I have been fighting these symptoms cough, runny nose, sneezing, headache, chest hurting, and nausea from the coughing for the last 3 months and I can not afford to go to the doctor. I have been running humidifers, rubbing vicks on the bottoms of my feet, chest, and under my nose, increased my fluids and have been resting. I can’t stand it anymore. What can I do?

Doctor: I do understand your concern. You have mentioned in your history that you suffer from asthma and the symptoms you are ex periencing could be due to it. When you have asthma, your airways narrow and swell. They produce extra mucus, and breathing becomes difficult. The most common asthma signs and symptoms are coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. Prevention and long-term control is the key to preventing asthma attacks. Treatment usually involves learning to recognize your triggers and taking steps to avoid them. If your symptoms continue to worsen you may do well with inhaled corticosteroids, combined inhalers or long-acting beta agonists.