Ask The Doctor > Pending > Cough feels like water went down respiratory tract.

Cough feels like water went down respiratory tract.

Patient: I’ve been irritated by a cough that seems to be provoked by something being irritated in my lungs that I can’t clear.What if feels like is the feeling about ten seconds after you accidentally get water into the respiratory tract. It’s that irritating feeling associated with a sensation of fluid in the throat.I have the flu right now, so I’m wondering if this could be an early sign of pneumonia and if there’s anything I can do about this at home since I have a rather unrelenting schedule at school as far as deadlines and exams go. Otherwise, I’ll have to do a bunch of risky schedule and deadline rearrangements.I’d also be happy to know what nerves trigger this response.

Doctor: