x
172 Physicians Online

Question:

Cough with Pain in My Rib Cage

I have had a cold for the last 4-5 days, with the cold came a very frequnt cough. Nowwhen I cough I feel pain in both sides of my rib cage. I am not coughing up any flem or blood, just feel a little pain as I said in my rib cage. Should I be concerned and is there anything I should take for it?. Thank you.

Answer:

Hello, I understand your concern about your moderate to severe dry cough.  Surely after an upper respiratory infection, generally the last symptom to disappear is the cough.
Sometimes the cough could be present for 2 weeks to more than a month. If the cough is accompanied by sputum production, it would be not recommended to stop it since it is a way to clear up the lungs but if the cough is dry and produces irritation usually over the counter cough syrups could be used.
It is also recommended to drink plenty of fluids and watch for signs of alert such as high fever, chest pain and sputum production. If the symptoms persist for the next few days or the get worse, you might want to consider consulting your physician to rule out Pneumonia. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA