Could allergic symptoms lead to increased BP?

Q: I live in deep woods and all trees are pollenating presently. My BP has always been great and a bit lowish,even. The past few days i've been feeling tired and headachy so i took my BP and it was higher quite a bit higher than usual. Could my bp have been temporarily raised due to the stress of my allergies? i do not take any allergy meds at all. Just sore throat from hard and plentiful sneezing. Thank you.

A:   It seems that you are having either an upper respiratory tract infection or an allergic reaction to all the pollen. It sometimes may be possible for your BP to increase at times that the body is going through stress like an infection. However I would still advice you to continue monitoring your blood pressure and if it is continuosly high then please consult a physician in person as you may need to be started on medication. Its usually around this age in females when essential hypertension ie increased bp actually manifests. All the best.