Could doctor be wrong? Stress fracture or shin splints

Q: Took X-rays and doctor said I probably just had shin splints. Could that be wrong and I have stress fracture? My symptoms match stress fracture not shin splints. I know that sometimes it's hard to find a fracture in X-rays could that be it. My doctor didn't really ask very many question about it and just touched it a little and then took X-rays and then it was done. But I went to a physical therapy place the day before and at first the guy said it sounded like shin splints but then he asked more questions and tried touching it and stuff and thought it seems more like stress fracture. Could the doctor have messed up? I don't want to run on it and stuff and make it worse

Symptoms:  Tenderness to touch inside shin on left leg, hurts to run, gets worse as I run, aches throughout day-even sitting