Ask The Doctor > Pending > Could gas hurt a baby in the womb?

Could gas hurt a baby in the womb?

Patient: My wife suffers from an unknown sickness that I’m worried will affect her or the baby during pregnancy. She suffers from constant gas. She has to take gas pills almost daily and if it gets really bad she takes Nexium. Sometime it’s been so severe that she had to go to the emergency room. She’s been to several specialists, but no one seems to have an answer. She constantly burps and if I massage any area of her body, it comes out even more. She had an ultrasound and we could see gas all throughout from her waist to lungs. If she were to get pregnant, could all of this gas somehow hurt the baby? I know their bones aren’t very strong and I’m afraid the extra pressure inside could cause an injury in the womb.

Symptoms: gas

Doctor: