Could I be Pregnant?

Patient

Q: About a week ago my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex and he came in me twice. A few days later we had unprotected sex again and he also came in me. About 2 days after I started noticing some pinkish/orange spotting when I wipe and discharge of the same color in my underwear. I am not supposed to get my period for another week and a half. I am currently taking the pill (birth control) but I have missed 2 days this past month and they were back to back days. My period is regular and I NEVER experience spotting before my period. I have also been having very bad cramping and breast tenderness. I have also been urinating more often and sleeping far more than normal. I am not sure what is going on, whether it be that I am pregnant or just some PMS so would you be kind to help me? Thank you.

Symptoms:  cramping, spotting, tender breasts, emotional, tired, urinating more often
Doctor

A:   By missing 2 consecutive pills you may have lost the protection offered by the contraceptive pills. There is a chance that you could have ovulated on the days that you had unprotected intercourse on and hence there is a possibility that you could be pregnant.
You seem to be having pregnancy symptoms and implantation bleeding as well which is typically light pink spotting 6- 12 days after the fruitful intercourse. The best way out now is to take a urine pregnancy test and find out if you have conceived or not.
Home pregnancy tests work by detecting the presence of the pregnancy hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in your urine. You should wait at least one day after your missed period before taking a home pregnancy test, although waiting a week is considered best.
Most home urine tests are similar in principle however there are certain differences in how you must do the test such as the method of collecting the urine, the length of time you need to urinate on the stick for and the symbols used to indicate whether you're pregnant or not. It is important to follow manufacturers' instructions as specifics may vary for each pregnancy test kit.
For more accurate results test first thing in the morning and give the kit a few minutes to work. Most women are able to take the test themselves without any hassles. If your periods are delayed, I would recommend that you repeat the test after a week even if you test negative the first time.