Could I be pregnant?

Patient

Q: Hi -

Im a 30 year old female. After a period of celibacy I had protected sex with my boyfriend on days 29 and 33 of my cycle. I track my normal cycles regularly - they are normally 31 to 34 days for the past 1.5 years. I am now on day 41 without menstruation. I have no symptoms of early pregnancy and no normal signs I am going to get my period. I took a home pregnancy test yesterday (first urine of the morning) that was negative. I know that we had protected sex well outside the window of when my ovulation should have been. The condoms did not break and were used properly. I have no Hx of drug or alcohol abuse/use.

Is it possible I am pregnant? Or is this just a late menses? My longest day of my cycle has been 40 days. I am concerned as I am now on day 41 with no signs of upcoming period.

Advice welcomed,

Thanks.
- Jennifer

Symptoms:  Late period
Doctor

A:   You did the right thing by taking a pregnancy test when your periods got delayed. It is highly unlikely that you could be pregnant inspite of a negative pregnancy test as these tests are almost 99percent reliable.
Delayed menses can occur because of numerous reasons such as polycystic ovaries, hypothyroidism, stress, weight fluctuations, strenuous exercise etc. To know the exact reason as to why your periods are irregular you shall need to consult a gynaecologist. He or she will run certain diagnostic blood tests and ultrasound examinations for the same. Once the diagnosis has been made the treatment will involve hormonal treatment as well disease specific treatment.
I would recommend that you await the onset of your menses for another 2 - 3 weeks. Generally one would get a withdrawal bleed by the end of two months whatever the cause maybe. If however your periods are delayed by more than three months then you will definitely need to see a doctor for the same.