Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Could I be pregnant?

Could I be pregnant?

Patient: I am a faithful oral birth control taker but a week after having unprotected sex I started antibiotics and now I’m about 3 days late for my period. Could I be pregnant bc of the antibiotics affecting my birth control?

Symptoms: Late period

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comIt is a known fact that that antibiotics decrease the effect of of contraceptive pills and if one starts antibiotics and is on contraceptive pills then a back method should be used like barrier contraception to prevent contraceptive failure.However in your case, you started antibiotics a week after having sex so the likely hood of sperms having fertilised the ovum during protection of pills is unlikely.Nevertheless, to confirm or rule out pregnancy one must wait for 7 days post missed periods and perform a urine pregnancy test which can confirmatively provide results. The delay in menses could be secondary to the use of antibiotics as well.so suggestion is to wait for 7 days and perform a urine pregnancy test.I hope i have answered your query in detail.wishing you best of health,regards