Could I be pregnant?

Patient: I am currently having pregnancy symptoms.. Missed period, fatigue, high and low fever at least once a week, lower abdomen and back pain, tender breasts, frequent urinating, and very bad heartburn. I have taken an at home pregnancy test and it is negative. I don’t believe I am pregnant because my partner had a vasectomy 9 years ago. I am always regular .. Now only 9 days late.. But I am stumped as to what is going on .. I have miscarried before.

Symptoms: Missed period, fatigue, high and low fever at least once a week, lower abdomen and back pain, tender breasts, frequent urinating, and very bad heartburn.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comIf your husband has undergone vasectomy and also your urine pregnancy test has reported negative after 9 days of missed period , then it would be wise to deduce that you are not pregnant. However , the symptoms you mentioned like fatigue , low back ache, tender breasts, frequent urination and often gastritis do mimic pregnancy symptoms but in view of negative pregnancy test, they can be rather related to another similar syndrome called the premenstrual syndrome.Premenstrual syndrome or PMS is a set of similar symptoms which trouble women few days before the onset of their scheduled menses and usually subside when the menstruation start. If however the pain is severe then antispasmodics may be considered on advise of the physician.Occasional delay in menses during cycle as in your case may be attributed more suitably to episodes of stress during this cycle which is known to cause irregularity in the scheduled menstrual pattern due to inadvertent hormonal changes occurring due to stress induced responses.Before reaching any conclusion or a diagnosis, it is advisable that you may monitor your cycles for atleast for 3 months by charting a menstrual calendar so that if at all any change in pattern is expected due to any other cause apart from stressors, then it would become evident in the similar pattern in the future cycles as well. This would help your physician to treat and evaluate you in a better manner if the pattern continues.Also , if the periods don’t return in next 1 week , then you may consult your physician and discuss the option of a withdrawal bleed with progesterones if required after evaluation.I hope i have answered your queries in detail.Wishing you best of health.Regards