Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Could I be pregnant?

Could I be pregnant?

Patient: I am 20 female. My period was 4 days late and came on the 28th. I had the worst cramps I’ve ever had in my life (i almost went to the er but I chalked up the pain. My period lasted about 5 days which is normal. Just the past couple of days I’ve been so nauseous to the point where i have had to run to the bathroom. Could ibe pregnant?

Symptoms: Nauseous

Doctor: Hello,If you have had normal bleeding during your menses , then pregnancy is ruled out and the symptoms of pain( dysm enorrhoea) and nausea can be attributed to premenstrual syndrome which often cause symptoms like nausea, headache, mood swings, low back ache, sore breasts ad mimic early pregnancy symptoms . They subside with the end of menses usually and are from moderate to severe , vary in from person to person.You may chose to take antispasmodics during your menses like mefenamic acid which can be helpful.I hope i have answered your query,regards