Could I be pregnant?

Patient: I’m a 28 yr old female with PCOS. my husband deployed and I started 500 mg of metformin. The month before he came home I went to 1000 mg and got my period for the first time in 7 months. I didn’t want to have it when he got home so I went back down to 500mg. He has been home 3 weeks and my breasts are sore and when squeezed they leak a colostrum looking liquid. Could I be pregnant?

Symptoms: Sore leaking breasts

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Metformin helps in decreasing insulin resistance and in modify ing the symptoms of PCOS.But changing the metformin levels may not alter menstrual cycles immediately.As you got periods one month before, there is a possibility of ovulation and pregnancy.So, please go for urine pregnancy test once.If test gives a negative result, go for estimation of prolactin hormone levels with your doctor’s advice, asprolactin hormonal fluctuations can also alter menstrual cycles and can lead to milk secretion from breast.Take care.