Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Could I be pregnant? I stopped birth control a few

Could I be pregnant? I stopped birth control a few

Patient: Could I be pregnant?I stopped birth control a few months ago, my first period after stopping was a week late but otherwise normal, second was on time and normal, here I am waiting for my next one, now three days late. Thought twice I started as I noticed very light spotting, one negative home pregnancy test yesterday. I had a very stressful day on the day I should have started, could that be delaying? I have used condoms as birth control with careful use. How likely is it that I am pregnant vs. Just a late period? Could my hormones still be regulating due to stopping birth control, even though my last period came on time/was normal? When should I take another test?

Symptoms: Late period

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.After stopping the birth control pills it may take few mont hs for regularization of menstrual periods.And also little bit of irregularity in periods can occur due to many causes.Usually menstrual cycle with length of 21 days to 35 days should be considered as normal only.So, better to wait for few more days. If you do not get periods even after one week, please repeat the urine pregnancy test once to rule out the possibility of pregnancy.Take care.