Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Could I be pregnant or is it something else

Could I be pregnant or is it something else

Patient: I had protected sex at the end of July we used a condom. But I’m 5 days late on my period, and I feel tightness and bloated in my lower abdomen, I’ve been Nausiated, extremely tired. And peeing a lot more. I feel sick all the time. But haven’t thrown up. I’ve also been having gas. And sometimes I have pain in my lower back. Is there a possibility that I’m pregnant? Or could it be something else? Bc I know here is so something wrong.

Symptoms: Nausiated bloated, lower back pain, urinating frequently missed period

Doctor: Thank you for your query.Just with the symptoms we cannot conclude on whether it is a pregnancy or not. The symptoms a lso overlap with pre-menstrual cycle symptoms as well. If the condom was intact all through the sexual activity & it neither slipped nor torn then the chances of a probable conception with that episode of sexual intercourse are remote. It is advisable that you opt for a home pregnancy test to rule out a pregnancy in case your periods have always been regular before. Post intercourse after ejaculation & removal of the condom if there was a contact near the vagina there could still be chances of a conception, especially if it was around your fertile period of the cycle. Apart from pregnancy sometimes stress, strain, anxiety, hormonal imbalance, life-style modifications,excessive weight gain or loss etc can also lead to a delay in the menstrual cycle.Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.