Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Could I get pregnant on my period?

Could I get pregnant on my period?

Patient: If I have been on birth control for three years what is the likelihood I would get pregnant for having unprotected sex on my period? My boyfriend pulled out every time.

Symptoms: Anxiety, possible pregnancy

Doctor: An unprotected intercourse results in pregnancy only when a woman is in her so called “Fertile Period”. The fe rtile period of a woman is determined by analyzing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28 day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period. Ovulation may not occur at a predictable time in the menstrual cycle, however. A number of factors may cause an unexpectedly early or late ovulation, even for women with a history of regular menstrual cycles.Normally, one should not get pregnant during menstrual bleeding. However, a pregnacy test may be helpful before visiting a doctor in case of delayed periods.

Patient: I’m sorry but that didn’t really answer my question. It didn’t even address the other factors such as I was on the pill and my boyfriend pulled out. Is there any way you could discuss that too?