Could I have an STD instead of a yeast infection?

Patient

Q: Well I went to my doct or with a few red rashes around the head of my penis and under the foreskin. He diagnosed me with having a yeast infection and told me to use viaderm-K.C. cream, I've been using the cream for over a month and didn't see much of a difference. I decided that maybe if I stopped masturbating it would help speed up the process and now I sometimes feel pain in my testicles and the penis opening began to look red and swollen as well. Plus a clear sticky liquid is bing secreted that looks a lot like precum. Is it possible that I was mis-diagnosed and this could be something more serious like an STD?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Based on your description it is possible that you have developed an infection of the penile urethra and glans penis. This could have been caused by worsening of your yeast infection, or by a concomitant bacterial infection of the glans penis (balanitis). We recommend that you return to your doctor to be reexamined. You will likely be prescribed a course of topical or oral antibiotics to treat this infection. It is possible that this cold have been caused by a sexually transmitted infection so please ask your doctor to perform STI testing as well.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com