Could I have had a false positive Herpes test.

Patient

Q: Hello,

So back in July I had three small bumps on my lower genitals (did not blister) and a cancre sore on the upper part of my genitals so I went and got seen by a gyno. The doctor did a swab test, although because the bumps didn't have typical appearance of herpes bumps and he swore he didn't think I would test positive. A couple days later, I receive a call that I was positive for herpes yet when asked whether it was HSV 1 or 2 , I was advised they didn't test type specific and it didn't really matter I just had it. I never took the medication and with in a week the three bumps disappeared on their own along with the cancre.

I have now waited 6 months and recently had a blood test done for herpes with came back negative for type one and type two. I also have not had any other bumps reappear or any other problems down there.

During the time of my initial testing, I had come in contact with my first use of silicone sex toys. Could I have had an allergic reaction to that which would have produced a false-positive herpes test?

Symptoms:  STD/STI
Doctor

A:   Thanks for your question.
Blood tests for herpes do not actually detect the virus; instead, they look for antibodies (the body's immune response) in the blood
the time it takes for IgG antibodies to reach detectable levels after initial infection can vary from person to person. For one person, it could take just a few weeks, while it could take a few months for another.
So even with the accurate tests, a person could receive a false negative if the test is taken too soon after contracting the virus. For the most accurate test result, it is recommended to wait 12 - 16 weeks from the last possible date of exposure before getting an accurate, blood test in order to allow enough time for antibodies to reach detectable levels. False positives are rare .
Hope this helps.