Could I have HIV?

Patient

Q: In my line of work I deal with security tags and pins , and I pricked myself with a security pin and bled a tiny bit , I trashed the pin straight away . This isnt the first time i have done it though , i sat on a pin by mistake recently. (Nobody in my store has HIV but when we get our stock it comes in already tagged and pinned sometimes so when merchandise is eventually sold it gets detagged the pins and tags comes through to our stock room and hence why i am asking incase someone at the depot who sends our stock may of had hiv and pricked thereself with it , could i get it) All pins and tags are clean and dry looking when they come through to the stock room. The actual pin didnt show blood on it after i hurt myself either time it was just my thumb i squeezed it and noticed a little bit of blood coming out. I was told by someone else online from the us medical site "Med Help" that (hiv is transmitted through... unprotected vaginal/anal intercourse sharing iv drug works mother to child hiv is NOT transmitted through environmental surfaces or inanimate objects. you were never at risk ) Continuing on (next par happened at home) I had bruised blood on my bottom lip gum so i used a solid sewing pin from the drawer to burst it , i didnt clean the pin but it looked clean and new Im 60% sure i cant get hiv this way (nobody in my family has hiv) can someone confirm The blood then came out and went away then over the next few days it keeps filling up with what appears to be saliva , So i got another pin and burst it and it was like water liquid that came out , Today i woke up and now i have a lump on my cheek (different part of mouth) i then went to see my doctor and ive been advised to see my dentist , the doctor belives its just a hardened ball of tissue or a beginning of a abscess and that i shouldnt be worried about it and that i have a appointment next week with her for some antibiotics. Also like to add that i have never have had sexual intercourse or have used drugs before Im all a bit worried about the hiv thing because of the work pin and other things im sure the sewing pin thing is irrelevant but the whole pin going into you thing scares me , Im sorry if anyone thiks ive been going on a bit but im genuinely concerned and have been thinking about the sum of events alot over the past few weeks have i been worrying about nothing ?

Doctor

A:   The initial symptoms of HIV infection can be very unspecific as: fever, fatigue, night sweats, rash, swollen nodes, sore throat, headache, oral ulcers. Infection is caused by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). The following factors are associated with an increased risk of acquiring HIV infection: Unprotected sex, receptive anal intercourse carries a particularly high risk, injection drug use (sharing needles or drug paraphernalia), occupational needle stick or body fluid splash (estimated transmission rate <0.3%), contaminated blood products (before 1985 in the United States). Around the world approximately 40 million people are currently living with HIV infection, and an estimated 25 million have died from this disease. In the United States, roughly one-third of new diagnoses appear to be related to heterosexual transmission. Male-to-male sexual contact still accounts for nearly half of new diagnoses and intravenous drug use make the remaining of the cases. The virus does not spread through casual contact such as preparing food, sharing towels and bedding, or via swimming pools, telephones, or toilet seats. The virus is also unlikely to be spread by contact with saliva, unless it is contaminated with blood.
Many people do not show symptoms after they first get infected with HIV. Others have a flu-like illness within several days to weeks after exposure to the virus. They complain of: fever, headache, tiredness, and swollen nodes in the neck. These symptoms usually disappear within a few weeks. After that, the person feels normal and has no symptoms. This asymptomatic phase often lasts for years. The development of the disease is different among individuals. This state may last from a few months to more than 10 years. Even though the person has no symptoms, he or she is contagious and can pass HIV to others.
HIV infection is commonly diagnosed by blood tests that detect antibodies the immune system produces in an attempt to fight the virus. Testing for HIV is a two-step process: first, an inexpensive screening test (blood) or oral (saliva) is done. If that test is positive, a second test (Western blot) is done to confirm the result. In case of doubt, worry or if you are unsure, the answer is always the same: get tested.