Could I have tapeworm?

Patient

Q: Im 30 yrs of age and a few month ago i found a white worm on toilet paper after checing myself because i had a bit of an itchy bottom. I thought it was pinworm because my 7 yr old daughter had recently had a letter from school saying that they was a case of it there so i my family all took ovex an i followed the cleamning regime, then a few wk ago i found another 1 after having the same itchy feeling but now im wondering if it could be another type of worm like tapeworm with it happening twice an just having the one worm each time. The worm was about a cm in length 1 mm wide and a whitish pearly in colour can u please help as i am very anxious and worried that i may have tapeworm

Doctor

A:   Tapeworms, pinworms, and roundworms are among the most common parasites that can be found in stool. Some parasites live in the intestines for a long period of time without causing any symptoms. I would suggest that you see your doctor for a proper diagnosis. Stool examination and serologic assays may be needed to detect a parasitic infection. Treatment will depend on the specific organism found. Adult tapeworms consist of a head, a neck, and a segmented body. The diagnosis of tapeworm is usually confirmed by finding eggs or proglottids in the feces. The treatment of tapeworms is with praziquantel.