Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Could I have Type 2 diabetes?

Could I have Type 2 diabetes?

Patient: I am a 25 year old female that has a constant concern that I have diabetes. I am 5″3′ and 115 pounds and have no other medical illnesses. In Sept 2008 I noticed my eye sight was getting blurry. I went to the eye doctor and got glasses. Since then my prescription has only changed once and there was barely any changes. Between February 2009 and April 2009 I lost 15-20 without diet or exercise. I do recall being a little stressed and my diet may have been reduced but my concern is that I haven’t gained ANY of it back. I also have experienced a dry scalp by my hairline over the last couple months which is itchy sometimes. My concern is that I don’t eat as healthy as I should and my diet is high in sodium and possibly fat. I don’t have a history of diabetes in my family and I have never experienced any of the other common symptoms of diabetes. Is there a chance based on these symptoms that I could potentially have type 2?

Doctor: Type 2 diabetes is more likely to occur in people over 45 years of age, more common in families with a positive family h istory. Also increased hunger and thirst are typical with diabetes. Your description do not suggest diabetes but there are chances that the birth control may produce these mood and weight changes due to its hormonal effects. You should eat a nutritious diet, with fruits, veggies, proteins, vitamins and minerals. Avoid stress and  exercise routinely. In case you feel the symptoms to be severe enough, you may visit your family doctor for other contraceptive options.