Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Could I possibly be pregnant?

Could I possibly be pregnant?

Patient: Could I be pregnant I had intercourse a 6 weeks ago and felt terrible ever since

Symptoms: Belly pains lower back pain headaches dizzyness always tired boobs hurt motion sickness

Doctor: You have not mentioned whether you have missed your periods. Your symptoms do seem to be similar to pregnancy symptoms. The signs and symptoms of pregnancy generally start around the time of your expected periods. However some women may notice certain changes earlier.Early in pregnancy hormonal changes might make your breasts tender, sensitive or sore. Nausea with or without vomiting,increased urination, fatigue, food aversions or cravings, dull aches in the pelvis are all pregnancy symptoms.If you are experiencing these symptoms, chances are that you could be pregnant. The best way to find out is to take a home pregnancy test. Home pregnancy tests work by detecting the presence of the pregnancy hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in a woman’s urine. Specifics may vary for each pregnancy test, so read the instructions on the pack carefully. Be careful to note the method of collecting the urine, the length of time you need to urinate on the stick for and the symbols used to indicate whether you’re pregnant or not.I am sure you shall be able to take the test yourself without any hassles with the above information.Delayed menses (delay of upto 2 -3 weeks sometimes) are quite common and a normal variation of a woman’s menstrual cycles. If you are not pregnant as per the pregnancy test, i would suggest that you just wait for another week or two for the periods to show without any reason to worry about the same.