Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Could identical twins have different gestational ages on ultrsound?

Could identical twins have different gestational ages on ultrsound?

Patient: Could identical twins have different gestational ages on ultrsound? about 1 week to ten days difference….? keeping in mind that my twins have each a separate sac…. but i’m not sure if they have a different placenta… since in week 17 the ultrasound showed to be one placenta… but i have a feeling it was two placenta and it became close and showed one…. is it possible?

Doctor: No. Identical twins would be conceived at the same time but one twin could be growing at a different rate as the other t win thus accounting for the difference in size.