Could my son's behaviour be autism?

Q: Ok here we go, my son will be 3 in May. He is hitting all of his milestones normally, but he doesn't like to play with kids his age or younger, when he does he has problems getting along with them. He is very sensitive to sunlight, doesnt even like it when I open the curtains, so they usually stay closed. He is very sensitive to sounds as well, doesn't like the vacuum, or any kids being loud. He will only eat certain foods, but would rather milk. He does not like change, like he wants nothing to do with potty training, or sleeping in his own bed, when we leave the apartment there are 2 sets of stairs and he only wants to go the one way and if i make him go down the other way he gets very upset. He gets very bad tantrums, doesn't like his hands dirty. The only people he really is close to is my husband, my mother and myself. He doesn't really like anyone else talking to him. Will not wear jeans at all only comfy pants, these are some of the things that I can think of right now. I just mentioned it to my mom today and she told me that her and my sister thought that of him but were afraid to say anything to me about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and forgot to say that he would rather play on his own then with anyone.

A:   I do understand your concern for your son. Autism is a developmental disorder that affects the child's normal brain development and causes problems with social and communication skills. It usually appear in early childhood, usually before age 3.
But because autism symptoms vary greatly, two children with the same diagnosis may act quite differently and have strikingly different skills. Problems with social skills can include : lack of eye contact, failure to respond when the child is called by name, preferring to play alone, lack of expression of feelings and unable to interpret facial expressions and gestures and resistance to being held or cuddles. The child may also show signs of repetitive movements such as rocking, flapping of hands and spinning movements. A child with autism might become obsessed with an object and are prone to tantrums. Children with autism may also experience with speech and language. They may start talking later than other children, or speak with an abnormal rhythm or voice.
Evaluation for ASD should include a comprehensive assessment, preferably by a team that has expertise in the diagnosis and management of ASD and should include a complete history, physical examination, neurologic examination, and direct assessment of the child's social, language, and cognitive development.