Could this be a allergic reaction to nickel?

Patient : My 16 month old daughter swallowed a nickel six days ago and has not passed it. Four days after swallowing the nickel she began to get a rash that quickly turned to hives we rushed her to the hospital and they determined she was having an allergic reaction she was given benydryl and a steroid. The rash went away after a few hours but it keeps coming back when the benydryl starts to wear off. My question is could she be reacting to the nickel she swallowed and how serious is this?
Doctor :   Nickel allergy is one of the most common causes of allergic contact dermatitis. Due to the prolonged exposure of your da ughter to the nickel coin, it is most probable that she has developed allergy to it. There is no cure for the allergy and you may have to wait till the coin is passed out with stools. The allergic rash may last upto a period of 2-4 weeks. Benadryl, corticosteroids and antihistamines may help to reduce the symptoms of the rash.