Could this possibly be diabetes

Patient

Q: For as long as I can remember, I've always gotten these hunger pains that are awful, make me sick, nauseous, shaky and irritated. Over the past few weeks, I can barely get through the day without a nap, often times when I eat, I get shaky, nauseous and have a pounding heart shortly after my meal. Orange juice seems to exacerbate these symptoms. I've lost 6-7 pounds in about 4 days. I don't have any family history of diabetes. Could I still be diabetic or are these symptoms pointing to something else?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Diabetes is a chronic disease which develops over years of poor nutrition, fitness and genetic predisposition. The symptoms may suddenly show up, but usually starts of with frequent urination, and excessive thirst and hunger. The symptoms you are experiencing, may be related to diabetes, and given the long standing course of these symptoms, it would be wise to go to your doctor to undergo diabetes testing, as well as a full examination for other possible causes such as infection, endocrine, neurological or autoimmune disorders. The symptoms you are experiencing may also be due to anxiety and stress. Please follow up with your doctor for further evaluation.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com