Could this still be a potential pregnancy?

Q: Ok im not sure if you can help me but my husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 8 years now. We have both been checked out and they said we were fine but my ovulation was off. My Gyn gave me clomid for 4 cycles. I really thought i was pregnant this month, as i had been having alot of symptoms. I had nausea fatigue, breast tenderness, crampin lower in my abdomen that was sharp pains that lasted a few minutes and then stopped. They were completely different then my normal cycle cramping. I also had brown spotting for a day. I hado not received my period yet and took 2 Urine tests but both said no. My period was 4 days late. So i was really thinking i was. However on the 5th day i began bleeding but it was a light pink and seemed to be spotting. Now its getting darker but it still doesnt resemble my normal cycle. It looks now a darker red but like it is slimy. So my question is ...Is it possible that i may still be potentially pregnant? Also my cycle has never beeb 4 days late before, maybe one or two but never 4.

Symptoms:  See above i typed it all in the question area

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Fertility promoting medications often work by mediating hormonal factors and some of those may caused changed bleeding pattern. The kind of bleeding that you have been having is likely to be a menstrual period given the fact that the pregnancy test is negative. Sometimes repeated pregnancy tests may be required to confirm or negate pregnancy. A pregnancy test attempts to determine whether a woman is pregnant. Markers that indicate pregnancy are found in urine and blood, and pregnancy tests require sampling one of these substances. Most chemical tests for pregnancy look for the presence of the beta subunit of hCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, in the blood or urine. hCG can be detected in urine or blood after implantation, which occurs six to twelve days after fertilization. It is estimated that the highest possible screening sensitivity of a home pregnancy test by one week after the first day of the missed period is 97 percent. The earliest you can get a positive result on the most sensitive pregnancy tests is seven days after ovulation ( Ovulation occurs on the 14th day prior to the next menstruation cycle). Thus Implantation needs to occur before hCG is produced, and that generally happens between 6-12 days post ovulation, usually by 10 days after. For this reason, it makes economical sense to wait until 10-12 days after ovulation, but even then a significant percentage of women who are indeed pregnant will still show a negative result.

The slimy discharge is not normal and may be caused by infection. Please get yourself examined by your physician. You may please repeat the pregnancy test once again just before going to the doctor.