Cousin marriage

Q: Hello doctor, I heard that marrying ones cousin will cause the baby to be abnormal. So i would like to ask how this happens and is there any chance of having a normal baby with a first cousin. If there is how will we know and what should we do? Thank you

A:   Certainly first cousins have genes that are identical. Consanguinity is a risk factor that doubles the chances of having a baby with birth defects. If there is a history of genetic diseases or defects in your family, this could increase the risk even more.
If you want to plan a pregnancy and reduce the chances of birth defects, both should consult a genetic specialist to have a detailed evaluation and follow up.