Crackling in left ear/"muffled"; day and night cou

Patient

Q: Last week, I visited my doctor's office to determine the reason for what appears to be a sinus issue and congestion, however only in the area of my inner left ear; coupled with a daily cough in the morning and at night. My lungs were clear, no fever, no obstruction or bacteria in the ear, throat is fine, and now going on two weeks, the condition still remains as though I stepped off a plane from a flight and my hearing (left ear only) is "muffled" (amplified;hear my self speak). Could this be an alergy issue; the doctor prescribed for one week, "Methylprednisolone", however now that I have completed the dosage, the symptoms appear unchanged. As a side note, I am a non-smoker, not around anyone who smokes, or in an environment with any form of chemicals, and do not drink alcohol. In addition, I experience "Cracking" in my left ear as well, however the medication has not resolved the issue.

Symptoms:  Day and night cough; crackling in left ear.
Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
Read and understood your history about the left ear problems, sinus issue and congestion, however only in the area of your inner left ear as per your history. Also noted history of daily cough in the morning and night, going for 2 weeks, feeling like stepped out of plane, hearing (left ear only) is "muffled" (amplified; hear my self speak). This is called echoing. "Methylprednisolone"taken for one week. In addition, experiencing "Cracking" in left ear as well, however the medication has not resolved the issue.

This indicates there is fluid inside the middle ear.
I would advise you the following:
It is possible that you need clinical evaluation and examination by an ENT Surgeon for the most probable diagnosis.
You may need additional treatment with nasal and oral decongestant, anti-tussive to stop coughing as this forces the fluid through the Eustachian tube and may be an antibiotic if there is an evidence if an infection.

The primary aim to get a proper diagnosis and proper treatment with the result orientation.

I hope this answer helps you.