Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Cramping, Heavy and Tender breasts, Signs Of Pregnancy?

Cramping, Heavy and Tender breasts, Signs Of Pregnancy?

Patient: I am 43 and trying for a baby. I had sex 1 to 2 days before ovulation and my next period is due 1st or 2nd March. I have cramping, heavy and tender breasts, feel sick quite a bit, going to the loo more than normal, etc.

Doctor: Pregnancy tests are fairly accurate. However, the best time to take them is after a week or more of a missed period. The test measures the level of beta hcg in the urine to give you a positive or negative response. You may even consult your doctor for a blood test for pregnancy if the urine test is negative as it is more accurate and can detect pregnancy earlier. All the best.