Cramps during 6 weeks of pregnancy

Patient: Hi, I’m 6 weeks pregnant and have been suffering quite severe cramps for 2 weeks now. Saw midwife and she was rather dismisive. I have no bleeding at all. One thought I had is that my womb is tilted apparently and when cramp is at its worse I can feel my intestines gurgling and then quite often have wind which when released eases the cramp. Could it be that my pain is caused by my womb causing trapped wind? My bowels are normally very regular but since being pregnant I quite often go a day without having a poo! Look forward to hearing from you.

Doctor: Abdominal cramping during the first trimester is quite common. This is due to the strain on the abdominal ligaments caus ed by the rapidly growing uterus. There is also a high incidence of constipation during this time, so it is better to include as much fruits and vegetables as possible in your diet. Those rich in fibers and nutrition will help the nausea and solve the constipation issue. Abdominal bloating and gas is also common during this time. This is because the doses of progesterone that your body produces early in pregnancy can contribute to digestive problems. Progesterone relaxes the smooth muscle tissue throughout your body, including your gastrointestinal tract. This relaxation slows your digestive processes, which can cause more gas, bloating, and uncomfortable sensations in your stomach, especially after a big meal. I hope this helps, take care.

Guest: okay

View all posts