Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Creatine vs lacerated kidney (healed)

Creatine vs lacerated kidney (healed)

Patient: Hey doc, i lacerated my kidney on febuary 14th 2010 snowboarding. which left me out of sports for 8 months. im back in hockey now and am wishing to gain muscle mass. im wanting to experiment with creatine before hockey and workouts. the doctors cleared me for sports after ultra-sounds do you think creatine can further damage my kidney?

Doctor: Creatine is a substance produced by the body and related to energy and muscle development. Natural sources of Creatine c an be found in meat, fish and vegetables.Artificial Creatine has not been evaluated by the FDA yet for safety, effectiveness, or purity. All potential risks and/or advantages of this medication may not be known. Additionally, there are no regulated manufacturing standards in place for these compounds.If you want to ingest Creatine , I would suggest you to drink plenty of fluid while taking it since it has been related to dehydration, heat-related illnesses, muscle cramps, reduced blood volume, and electrolyte imbalances. Good hydration would also help your body get rid of the excess by your kidneys. I wish you the best.