Creatine vs lacerated kidney (healed)

Q: Hey doc, i lacerated my kidney on febuary 14th 2010 snowboarding. which left me out of sports for 8 months. im back in hockey now and am wishing to gain muscle mass. im wanting to experiment with creatine before hockey and workouts. the doctors cleared me for sports after ultra-sounds do you think creatine can further damage my kidney?

A:   Creatine is a substance produced by the body and related to energy and muscle development. Natural sources of Creatine can be found in meat, fish and vegetables.
Artificial Creatine has not been evaluated by the FDA yet for safety, effectiveness, or purity. All potential risks and/or advantages of this medication may not be known. Additionally, there are no regulated manufacturing standards in place for these compounds.
If you want to ingest Creatine , I would suggest you to drink plenty of fluid while taking it since it has been related to dehydration, heat-related illnesses, muscle cramps, reduced blood volume, and electrolyte imbalances. Good hydration would also help your body get rid of the excess by your kidneys. I wish you the best.