Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Criteria and contraindications for blood donation

Criteria and contraindications for blood donation

Patient: Can I donate blood if I am taking zestoretic for high blood pressure? What are the criteria for blood donation?

Doctor: You can indeed donate blood inspite of taking high blood pressure medications. Generally you cannot donate blood if you have HIV, hepatitis or any form of current infection or fever. Blood donation is also not recommend from anemic patients.Sometimes blood donors who have stayed in certain countries like africa or who have had a history of malaria are also rejected.An individual also needs to be over 17 years of age with general good health.