x
165 Physicians Online

Question:

Crushed hydrocodone tablets

Is it alright to crush hydrocodone and swallow with liquid? My son has a difficult time swallowing pills and needs to take for pain medication after wisdom tooth extraction.

Answer:

Definitely, you can crush the tablets and give them to the patient with liquids, but do not delay too much, because they could lose some of their original activity with the dilution, as soon as you crush them mix with water preferably, and give the solution to the patient. This is a method widely used in patients with problems to open the mouth, or swallowing for any reason.
It should also be kept in mind that this method is only acceptable with short acting Hydrocodone tablets. Long acting tablets and Capsule forms of the drug should never be cut or crushed.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.