Curable or Incurable? UTI or STI? HELP!


Q: Hello, I'm really desperate for some advice. I have been to the doctor for an STI test but won't get the results for another week. I'm freaking out because I'm scared it's something incurable.

On Wednesday I developed the symptoms of a UTI (after having unprotected sex on Monday). I knew that I should go to the doctor, but put it off as I was very tired. On Friday I noticed some pain in my waist and lower back area. That day I went to a walk in clinic, I told the doctor about my symptoms, took a urine test and got an sti test and pap smear. She said that I did have a UTI and that the STD results wouldn't be in for a week.

Today (Saturday) I was extremely exhausted and feeling ill and depressed, which I presume is from the antibiotics she prescribed (ciprofloxacin).

Today I developed 2 new symptoms. 1 is that there is some leakage coming from my urethra (i think) and the second is that I have very small slightly painful sores around my rectum. It's possible that they are a result of irritation from the moisture in my underwear, or ingrown hairs I suppose.

I spoke with the person I slept with and he informed me that he had pain during urination. As far as I understand UTI's are not contagious so it must be an STI I guess? I'm so terrified. Like I said, I did get an STI test but will have to wait on the results. I'm so scared, I don't want to feel like this for 6 more days. I know it was stupid to have unprotected sex and I am extremely mad at myself.

Any information is greatly appreciated. I'm desperate!


A:   This question is currently in queue and will be answered shortly by one of our doctors. In the meantime you may browse our library of answered questions by clicking here.

Related Q&A

Q: Hi, a few days ago i woke up to 2 sets of 2 red inflamed dots under my stomach / in my groin area. To me they looked ...

Q: I have two bumps on my penis one is slightly raised and kind of painful to the touch and the other one is smaller and...

Q: Hello Dr, I had protected sex with a massage parlor lady this past Saturday evening ie Sunday morning. As mentioned ...

Q: I got a very Large injection for Gonorrhoea yesterday tuesday 11/10/16. Me and my doctor was not sure if I had or n...

Q: I have blood in my semen for last two weeks.its not painful or sensitive in any way. Without injury and no possible s...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon