Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Curious woman in Muskegon MI

Curious woman in Muskegon MI

Patient: I was wondering would I have to still get a pap smear even though I haven’t had sex since 2006???

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Usually pap smear is recommended to women after the age of 21 irrespective of sexual life.Though you didn’t have intercourse since nine years, annual pap smear is recommended to you, if:-You had abnormal pap smears previously-You are having any symptoms like white discharge, intermenstrual spotting etc.-Family history of cervical cancer, smoking habit etc.If you are not having any of above risk factors also, better to go for pap smear at least once in three years.Take care.