Current Recommended Daily Calcium and Vitamin D Intake

Q: From everything I have read and am feeling, I am lactose intolerant. for the past 2 yrs. I have had little calcium in my diet, do to the bloating, diarrhea and gas I experience after eating anything with milk in it. I eat mostly vegetables and Poultry. I am 50 yrs. old, 5'5 and weigh between 145 and 150. I do exercise. the only med I take is ativan for sleeping. Today I started taking Lactaid. I need to start taking calcium and vitamin D, but how much should I take a day?

A:   The current recommendation for calcium intake in premenopausal women and men, is that one should consume at least 1000 mg, while postmenopausal women who do not take oestrogen should consume 1500 mg. One should not consume more than 2000 mg of calcium per day due to the risk of side effects. The current recommendation for vitamin D is that all adults should consume at least 800 international Units of vitamin D per day.