Curve in mid-back: will it ever straighten out?

Patient

Q: I'm a 22 year old male, who began experiencing issues around the age of 18. When I graduated High School, I was approx. 6'0"-6'1". I then shot up to 6'4"-6'5" very quickly & as this happened, I began experiencing back issues: pain and a slight curve in my mid-back. Around this time, i started meeting with a chiropractor, who took x-rays and claimed that nothing was wrong. i quit seeing him after a few months. In the summer of '13, i experienced the worst pain i've had. It hurt pretty much 24/7; when i stood, sat, laid down. Around this time, i started seeing a new chiropractor, who took x-rays, and pointed out the curve. She was appalled when we told her that my previous chiropractor claimed that nothing was wrong. She said that it is NOT scoliosis, but rather a curve as a result of bad posture. In the 2 years since then, she has also mentioned that sometimes tall people have problems due to their height. Today, i am not in nearly as much pain as i once was. I'd say it's the least pain since i started having issues. That, or i'm learning to live with it. I still do have pain- when i'm nearing the end of my 8 hour work day, or when i stand for extended periods of time. I'll have discomfort when i'm sitting on certain couches, or go to sleep in my bed.

I meet with my chiropractor every 3 weeks, and while the pain has decreased dramatically, I am still self-conscious about the curve. I wear 2 shirts everywhere i go as i feel as though it makes the curve less noticeable. I can stand straight up so the curve isn't as noticeable, but to do so, i have to puff my chest out and people probably wonder why i stand how i do. I'm in college and wanting to have a great time ,but it's tough when i'm constantly worrying about what my back looks like. No cute girls are going to want to talk to a dude with a curve in his back.

My question: Is this just something i'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life? Should i see a back specialist? Would lifting weights or doing exercises somehow help strengthen the muscles and straighten my back out?

Symptoms:  Pain, discomfort, curvature
Doctor