Cushing's Syndrome

Patient

Q: I'm a 25 year old female and my doctor believes I might have Cushing syndrome, I'm presenting almost every symptom. So he ordered a 24 hour urine test. He didn't say I need to fast or anything, but I'm concerned that some of my medicine might affect my results, particularly metformin. In addition to metformin I also take aderall, yaz, synthroid, Zoloft, and losartan. I know it's a lot for a 25 year old. But anyway should I not take the metformin or any others during the 24 hours that I do the urine sample?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your medication. Depending on the type of 24 hour urine cortisol test you are taking will depending on whether you can take it with medication or not. Older tests may be affected by certain medications whereas newer tests will not be affected. We recommend that you consult the lab at which you are taking your 24 urine cortisol test to implement their specific requirements.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com